Wednesday 10 September 2014

Battle Report: Eldar vs 30k Luna Wolves 1650

I had another GT practice game this week against a friend of mine, Ollie at Vale Renegades. We were playing Kill Points primary, and he used his beautiful 30k Luna Wolves army, including an Imperial Knight. I intended on writing a battle report, however we stopped the game fairly early on after some poor dice for Ollie and some great shooting from the Eldar killed an Imperial Knight, Loken, a Centurion, a Land Raider, a Tactical Squad, half of a Justaerin Terminator Squad and a Reaver Squad in the first two turns, losing 1 Wave Serpent & 1 Dire Avenger squad in return. Although the Kill Point scores were reasonably even at this point, it was certainly going to end in a pretty big win for the Eldar and it was already getting fairly late, so we called it there.

I hadn't really thought much about Kill Point missions with my list before this game, I'd mainly been focusing on its ability to take Objectives instead. However I was happy with my performance- barring a mistake where I decided not to Jink and cost myself a Wave Serpent, the list didn't give up many easy points. The Swooping Hawks are pretty easy to hide and the Dire Avenger squads sit comfortably in the tanks unless they need to shoot, when they can always Battle Focus out of sight or into cover afterwards. My Fire Dragons will often trade themselves for an enemy vehicle if I need them to, else they'll hide as well. The Wraithknight is a pretty tough customer, and the rest of the list is AV12 3HP fast skimmers, so they can generally stay out of too much trouble.
I can also take Kill Points pretty efficiently, with Wave Serpents clearing any light vehicles early on to establish a lead then teaming up with the Night Spinners to start killing off infantry.

I do want to thank Ollie for playing so graciously in the face of a truly cheesy army, and for giving me a chance to try my list against something I was previously worried about- the dreaded Imperial Knight. Protip: Kill it with Fire (Dragons)! I've got pictures of the finished parts of his army- they really blow my "Craftworld Skittles" Eldar out of the water:


Ollie's amazing (albeit short-lived) Luna Wolves Imperial Knight


Luna Wolves Reaver Squad in front of a Land Raider


A small Luna Wolves Tactical Squad



Luna Wolves Tactical Squad, Land Raider, Contemptor Dreadnought and Imperial Knight


As we didn't really play a full game, I'm not going to write the game up as before, but I will instead be doing an extra "Big Hitters" entry in my Road to the GT tactics series, focusing on how to tackle Imperial Knights, Wraithknights, and Riptides, as well as Pacific Rim style builds. Before that there's the Anti- Spam Tactics article though, and all being well they should both be finished soon.

Thanks again to Ollie for playing and agreeing to let me photograph his awesome army, and also thanks again to everyone for reading! 

SimonW

No comments:

Post a Comment