Sunday 16 November 2014

Warmachine/Hordes Battle Report: 50pts Legion vs Trollbloods!

Hello! This week I played my first ever 50pts game of Warmachine/Hordes, against Byron and his Trollbloods! I was excited to have a "tournament style" game at last, and I was pleased that it hasn't taken me too long since I started playing either. I used a different Warlock too, Thagrosh, Messiah of Everblight, as I was finding Lylyth to be a bit repetitive. I still don't have any units, but I'm not really sure what I need and as they're relatively expensive I'm holding back for now.

Lists

I had a new list, with Thagrosh2 (or rather Thagrosh2's legs...), and a whole load of beasts and support solos!

Thagrosh, Messiah of Everblight (+3)
Raek
Raek
Raek
Raek
Shredder
Shredder
Shredder
Harrier
Scythean
Scythean
Succubus
Forsaken
Forsaken
Strider Deathstalker
Strider Deathstalker
53pts

This list was focused on aggression, in a similar style to my Lylyth2 list, except all with melee rather than shooting. The Deathstalkers made it in to help clear charge lanes, but other than that the plan was advance strongly round 1, then charge turn 2 with Manifest Destiny and Thagrosh's Feat to hopefully assassinate the enemy caster, or do enough damage that I can win on attrition. It's quite high risk, but luckily Thagrosh can camp quite a few fury at once and he's not exactly short of transfer targets! I don't yet own any units, but it seemed like the list would be really fun to play!

Byron had the following:
Madrik Ironhide, World Ender (Epic)
Runebearer
Dire Troll Mauler
Impaler
Fell Caller Hero
Stone Scribe Chronicler
Trollkin Champion Hero
Krielstone Bearer and Stone Scribes (Leader +5)
Stone Scribe Elder (UA)
Pyg Burrowers (Leader +9)
Trollkin Champions (Leader +5)
Skaldi Bonehammer (UA)
Trollkin Fenblades (Leader +9)

Byron told me afterwards he was actually 1pt over, but I didn't mind- he was a very generous opponent, letting me take back a couple of mistakes and helping me throughout my activation.
I don't know enough about Trolls to really talk about the list in depth, but it was certainly very intimidating, with a huge number of models, many with multiple wounds and/or Tough, which turns dying into being knocked down on a 5+!

Scenario
I don't know the name, but there was 1 flag each side- you could dominate (caster base-to-base, no enemy in 4") your opponent's flage for 2pts, control (any model base-to-base, no enemy in 4") your opponent's flag for 1pt, or dominate your own flag for 1pt. There was also a "killbox", so the casters had to not be completely within 14" of the board edge after turn 1.

 Deployment
I lined up my stuff, spacing carefully to avoid the multiple Abominatons in my list causing too many command checks. I essentially went symmetrical- Thagrosh2 central, then Forsaken, Scythean, Lesser, Lesser, Raek, Raek, with the Succubus behind Thagrosh2. The Deathstalkers Advance Deployed on the left opposite some single wound infantry, hoping Tough Checks didn't hinder their Snap Fire/Sniper combo too much.
Byron countered by bricking up, his army forming a huge mass of Troll-flesh, with Madrak2 somewhere in the middle! The Pygs Advanced Deployed away from the Deathstalkers, planning to burrow early on.

Round 1
My stuff runs or walks forwards, using just enough Fury so I can manage it. My Deathstalkers are out of Range. Byron also walks or runs towards the middle, and his Pygs burrow so they can't be attacked.

Legion Turn 2 Onwards
In my 2nd round, Thagrosh2 activated, used his Feat and cast Manifest Destiny, camping the other 4 fury. 3 of the Raeks got Tenacity, and 1 of the Scytheans had Dragon's Blood as a free upkeep. My Deathstalkers killed one of the Fennblades and knocked another 2 down, so the Shredder and Harrier on the left went after the survivors. The 4 Raeks and 2 Scytheans all charged and made a big mess out of Byron's various infantry around Madrak, and then on the feat they were joined by 2 of the Shredders to attack Madrak himself who had no transfers, and only 2 Grim Salvation targets! 1 Raek didn't get in, and after all my extra Manifest Destiny attacks, Madrak was left on about 5 health! So close!
In Byron's turn, he also used his feat, so that each of his models can make a normal melee attack against everything in melee range. The Pygs arrived and decided to join in against the beasts, and between all his stuff Byron was able to kill both Scytheans, 3 Raeks and 2 Shredders! He was also able to pop a Forsaken.
Due to the immense length of time our back-to-back feats had taken, we had to stop the game early there after only 2 rounds unfortunately, so we called it a draw.


After Action Thoughts
Thagrosh2 is fun! He's similar to Lylyth in his "feat or bust" playstyle, but I think he's much more fun with his all his beasts and melee attacks. Looking towards the rest of the game, neither of us had any Control points, so I think it would have come down to assassination; on my next turn a Forsaken with 5 Fury had to kill 1 Pyg Burrower, and the I could charge with a 7 fury Thagrosh2 on a 0 fury Madrak2, with only 2 warrior models close enough for Grim Salvation. However if that had failed or he'd passed his Tough checks, I'd have died faster than you can say "no transfers available". Regarding my list, I think the 2 Scytheans would be better as 2 Angelius, as they can use the armour pierce attack to improve some match-ups, and with the Feat they can strike and retreat if needs be, helping me on scenario too, along with their fantastic "repulse" animus letting them escape very well!

Comparing this game with 40k, I think it really highlights the need for good play around orders of activation, and model placement. That extra Raek could have won me the game with better placement, but it's good to have something to work on. If you can get your placement and ordering correct, you can pull off more combos and more powerful ones, which are great ways to win such a fast-paced game.
From my first impressions, deployment is not as tactical, and terrain is less important (however that could be due to not having used too much). Deployment does seem like variations of "line up and run at each other" here, whereas in 40k there's much more to it than that. I think that mainly comes from the central nature of the objectives, the cumulative scoring rather than end-game and how quickly you can win a game, normally in 1-2 rounds of controlling objectives, all of which force players to get their armies into the middle of the board, and fast. Smaller boards and smaller forces, as well as the "control area" mechanic keeping things central also encourage straightforward deployment. I'm not saying this is bad, as this game is very tactically complex in other areas; I'm just comparing it to 40k, where placement can be almost perfect due to pre-measuring anything at any time, and order of activation is less important due to the "army moves, army shoots, army assaults" nature of the game.

I really enjoyed my first ever 50pts game, and I've got another one arranged for this Tuesday which I'll also be blogging. It's against Retribution of Scyrah if I remember correctly. Until then, thanks again for reading!

SimonW

No comments:

Post a Comment